Tuesday 7 May 2013

London, England





England, "The country of Shakespeare, Churchill, the Beatles, Sean Connery, Harry Potter. David Beckham's right foot. David Beckham's left foot, come to that." You can't forget Hugh Grant, who delighted us with this quote during Love, Actually.London is a place that evokes many an image, James Bond driving past Big Ben in his Aston Martin, Harry Potter running through the wall to Platform 9 3/4 at Kings Cross Station, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge getting married in Westminster Abbey. To me, London lived up to every expectation and more!
Ever since I was little I had dreams of visiting England (in no small part due to Harry Potter). When I finally got the chance it was the first stop on a tour of Europe that I will never forget. London was one of those places where I automatically felt comfortable, this was a place where I could see myself living. The three days that I was there for were definitely not enough for me to see it all, but from what I did see, I will try and give you some advice on what to do if you only have a short time in London.
Activities
Then best thing I can advise if you only have a short time in London is the Hop On, Hop Off bus tours. For £28.00 per adult and £14.00 per child, the tour allows you to travel London, getting on and off at whichever stops you like. As it is geared towards tourists, it makes it much easier for you to get to the different tourist attraction than if you were just using public transport.

If I were to say the top three things to do in London in a short time period, they would definitely be the London Eye, The Tower of London, and Buckingham Palace. As you visit these you will also be able to see things such as Trafalgar Square and Picadilly Circus, but these three are must do.
My Grandfather on the London Eye over looking Big Ben.
The London Eye.The London Eye is a great way to get a birds eye view of the city. It takes about half and hour and on a clear day you can see all the way to Canary Wharf. It's a great photo opportunity and you can get plenty of pictures to take home to show off to your friends!The Tower Of London.Walking through the Tower of London you really get a sense of the history of London. They are the same rooms that Kings and Queens have lived in, as well as criminals and enemy's of the state later on. The Tower always has exhibitions on that you are able to walk through. When I was there we got to see the Crown Jewels exhibit, which was amazing (even if you're not able to take pictures).Buckingham Palace.Whether the Queen is in residence or not, Buckingham Palace is breathtaking, and when else are you going to have a chance to try and get the guards to move! The Victoria Fountain and the flowers out the front of the Palace are beautiful, you won't be able to help taking photo after photo. After a visit to Buckingham Palace you can walk through St James' Park, or down The Mall to Trafalgar Square.
The best thing about London is that every time you turn a corner there is another landmark filled with history or that's just plain famous!
AccommodationIn my previous posts I have told you about affordable hotels, but in London I have to talk about The Savoy. Having worked in hospitality myself, the Savoy is the type of hotel I would dream to work at (even though I have never stayed there myself). The Savoy still holds all of it's granduer and opulence from the era of Jane Austen, with all the modern comforts that you expect from a hotel where the cheapest room is around £550 per night.-Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment